Circa 1859 Hamlet of Gilmour established

///Circa 1859 Hamlet of Gilmour established

Circa 1859 Hamlet of Gilmour established

George Sprackctt moved from Millbridge to open a sawmill in the hamlet of Gilmour.  He brought along his son James to work with him.  The Gill and Fortune Lumber Company headquartered in Trenton, ran a few logging camps in the region and erected shanties for their men at nearby Long Lake. (Grimsthorpe today)  The men picked up their supplies in Gilmour.

George ran his saw mill for many years after the departure of the lumber companies and the employment he provided kept the village alive.

(Information from Ruth Tierney’s ” Echoes from the Past” 1977)

 

2018-04-23T14:01:45+00:00